Infosys Placement Papers 15
Logical Thinking Section
Time : 1 hour
* Please do not write/mark on the question paper.
1. 2 Marks When Arthur is as old as his father Hailey is now, he shall be 5 times as old as his son Clarke is now. By then, Clarke will be 8 times older than Arthur is now. The combined ages of Hailey and Arthur are 100 years. How old is Clarke?
2. 3 Marks I have one orange glass containing orange juice and another white glass containing apple juice. I take 50 ml of orange juice and mix it with apple juice in the white glass. Then I take 50 ml of this mixture and transfer it back to the orange glass. If you compare amount of apple juice in the orange glass and amount of orange juice in the white glass which is more than the other and by how much?
3. 3 Marks The seven digits in this subtraction problem are 0,1,2,3,4,5 and 6. Each letter represents the same digit whenever it occurs.
D A D C B E B E G -------------------- B F E G --------------------
What digit is represented by each letter?
4. 4 Marks The Jones have named their four boys after favourite relatives; their friends, the Smiths, have done the same thing with their three boys. One of the families has twin boys. From the following clues, can you determine the families of all seven children and their ages?
i) Valantine is 4 years older than his twin brothers.
5. 4 Marks Motorboat A leaves shore P as B leaves Q; they move across the lake at a constant speed. They meet first time 600 yards from P. Each returns from the opposite shore without halting, and they meet 200 yards from Q. How long is the lake?
6. 4 Marks Fanta, Pepsi and Citra often eat dinner out.
a) Each orders either coffee or tea after dinner.
Which person/persons always orders the same drink after dinner?
7. 6 Marks On the Island of imperfection there is a special road, Logic Lane, on which the houses are usually reserved for the more mathematical inhabitants. Add, Divide and Even live in three different houses on this road (which has houses numbered from 1-50). One of them is a member of the Pukka Tribe, who always tell the truth; Another is a member of the Wotta Tribe, who never tell the truth; and the third is a member of the Shalla Tribe, who make statements which are alternately true and false, or false and true. They make statements as follows:-
Find to which tribe each of them belongs, and the number of each of their houses.
8. 8 Marks The names of the inhabitants of Walkie Talkie Land sound strange to the visitors, and they find it difficult to pronounce them, due to their length and a few vowel sounds they contain. The Walkie Talkie guide is discussing the names of four inhabitants - A,B,C and D. Their names each contain upto eight syllables, although none of the four names contain the same number. Two of the names contain no vowel sounds; one contains one vowel sound; and one contains two vowel sounds. From the Guide's statements below, determine the number of syllables and vowel sounds in each of the four Walkie Talkie names:-
i) The one whose name contains two vowel sounds is not A.
9. 8 Marks Multiplication and Division.
10. 8 Marks Two identical twins have a very unusual characteristic. One tells nothing but lies on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and tells nothing but the truth all other days. The other tells nothing but lies on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, and tells nothing but the truth all other days. On Sundays both children speak the truth.
1) Which of the following statements can be deduced from the information presented?
i) If it is Sunday, the twins will both say so.
a) i only.
2) According to the information presented, which of the following conversations will be impossible.
a) Twin A : "Today you are a lier".
b) Twin A : "Today you are a lier".
c) Twin A : "Tommorow I shall be a lier".
d) Twin A : "Tommorow you will be a lier".
e) Twin A : "Yesterday we were both truthtellers".
3) Assume that the twins followed a different set of rules, so that on a given day both told only the truth while next day both only lied, alternating days of truth telling and lying. Under these rules,which of the following conversations would be possible?
a) Twin A : "Today you are a lier".
c) Twin A : "Tommorow we will be liers".
d) Twin A : "Tommorow we will be liers".
e) Twin A : "We always tell the truth".
4) If the twins are heard saying the following on the same day, which choice presents a correct statement?
Twin A : "It is Sunday Today".
a) It is a summer sunday.
d) It is Sunday but not summer.